Monday, June 27, 2011

Uganda 2011 Entry 3

A slow day today. Currently sitting on my bed with Bena Banana. She's singing some song and playing with connect the links. Kristal and I got our hair braided today. I feel very African. All the kids are incredibly pleased. 

The rest of the team starts arriving Wednesday and we move to Maria's place on Friday so we are entering the last few days living here at the home. It's bitter sweet. I love these children, but something in me is craving to be back in a place where my own culture is more present. 

Last year when we came, although we were in Africa, I'm beginning to realize we weren't incredibly immersed in the culture where we were living. Of course during the day we would be out in the city, but at night I was surrounded by comforts of home. I have loved living in a truly Ugandan home, although the western influences are still here, but I'm looking forward to having some comforts like running hot water and food that is more westernized. 

I was feeling slightly homesick today, especially since we haven't been very busy, so I picked up Anne of Green Gables to read. It's amazing how a book can take away such feelings. It transported me back to when I was little and watching the movie with my mom. It was like being home without having to move. 

So I guess what I'm trying to say: I love this home, I love these children, I will be extremely sad when I leave, but I'm looking forward to Maria's place and the next chapter of my trip. 

"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
- L.M. Montgomery

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading another update from your time in Uganda! Loved the quote! Love you!

    Thoughts & prayers,
    Auntie Mary

    ReplyDelete