Sunday, December 6, 2009

Castles, Coffee, and Banana Pancakes....And maybe a few Snails (Things that bring me joy)


Joy...It seems like something so simple to have. When I google searched joy, the first hit was a site for textiles....hm....not exactly my idea of joy. It's funny, I feel like in church they are always telling you about joy. When I searched bible verses for joy....holy cow, my search engine couldn't take it. It's one of the fruits of the spirit. It seems like there is something huge to be found in joy. And it seems like how much it's talked about in the bible, it is something that people struggle with a lot.

I myself don't so much. It's weird...I have all these things I have that I want to change about myself....all these things I see wrong with myself...I'm judgemental of people and complain just to complain, to mention a few. But in general I can find joy in most every situation. Now I'm not saying I don't have my off days. Trust me, there are days when I just want to knaw a cookie into a knife and stab someone (thank you JB for that quote.) But for the most part there are very small things in life that make me happy. It's the thing I had/have going for me. I remind myself of the song "Snails" by The Format that KT blogged about last. "Snails see the benafit, the beauty in every inch." Yeah...I like that. I think this is the first time I will be ok with comparing myself to a snail.

But this week, the devil, being the bastard that he is, tried to take that away from me. I found myself not caring about anything much really, especially the stuff that I used to really get joy out of. Yeah, I was not very happy with him. And I tried to combat it myself. Ha...yeah...not pretty. And to make it worse I had to get rid of my pumpkins this week. Yeah....talk about literally throwing joy away. Sad.

But then I realized I was looking for joy in the wrong places. Because yes, I get joy out of tons of crazy things (see list at the end of this post to see HOW crazy), but that joy is a gift directly from Jesus. After all, all good things come from Jesus and joy is deffinetly a good thing. And when I stopped turning to him for the ultimate joy, of course the other things weren't gunna bring me joy. Stupid stupid Hannah. Ha. And so I asked, and did he deliver. Because I named him my ultimate joy....and let the rest follow.

There is nothing better to me than listening to good music with my earphones in, sitting in a coffee shop with a huge cup of coffee not doing the homework I came to do.

Yes....It's true. Like Molasses I'm a procrastinator. Pretty sure she writes about that portion of her personality every time she writes a blog. It makes me giggle.

Speaking of things that make me happy, we come to the point of this post, to both combat the devil and to celebrate my new found joy I made a list of all the things that bring me joy...and I'd like to share part of it with you. So here you go, a little gift from me to you. Merry freakin' Christmas. Ha.

Joy: Jesus, C.H.E.M. (Cadie, Hannah, Emily and Maci), friends, family, pumpkins, Christmas, music (there are just far too many artists to mention), guitar, piano, singing, making music (writting), writing poetry, Lee Ellen singing (cause I'm listening to her right now), bike ridding, dressing up (in costume or just fancy), coffee, typing (yes I get joy just from typing on a keyboard), POHO, C3, Woods House, buttons, cartoons, Disney (and Disney Princesses), old book smell, the back shelves in a library, driving, stargazing, presents (giving and recieving), Africa, bumperstickers (facebook or otherwise), my dog, making eye contact with someone you don't know and just smiling, the feeling of a new relationship, animatronic christmas decorations (there is a moving bear in the Coffee Shop....hence it makes me happy), blue eyes, Johnny Depp, fall, people crawling through vents like the movies, skydiving, making things out of magazines, laying in grass, picnics, kites, musicians that haven't made it big yet, weddings, photo shoots, art, reading, knitting, N64, reconecting with an old friend, seeing someone in a movie and not remembering what else they were in then finally remembering, my residents, fishing, corn fields, mud squished between your toes, swimming in lakes, the ocean, sunsets, theatre, cheesey music (don't judge), board games, old school Nick, and much much more....this list is getting too long for this post.

And so, I hope I have brought a smile to your face. Jesus always comes through. It's pretty cool. I kinda like him for that.

Songs that Bring me so much joy I have had each one of these songs on repeat for at least a day in my lifetime:
The Call: Regina Spektor
The First Single: The Format
Be Be Your Love: Rachel Yamagata (love to dance to this)
Let Go: Frou Frou
Tortilla Chips Song: T Bizzy

No comments:

Post a Comment